can't get internal/external microphones working

Hi Everyone!
At first I'd like to thank you for the great work that you've done to make our sony z laptops working with linux. I'm using ubuntu 8.10 with the last kernel and I've followed the guide on the launchpad site and on the pdf in the email attachments and it seems that everythings is working, even the nvidia card. I only can't get the internal and external microphones working. can someone please exactly explain me how to do that? I've added "options snd-hda-intel model=sony-assamd" at the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. I've created 2 files called microfono.conf and microfonoesterno.conf in /etc/modprobe.d and I put on the first "options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba-s06" and on the second "options snd-hda-intel model=sony-assamd". I've rebooted and enabled all the possible things in alsa-mixer, now the are:
- on the playback window: main,PCM,Microphone,ATAPI Mic
- on the registration window: capture, capture1,capture2
on the option window i've put source=mic, source1=Front mic,  source2=Line.
But nothing' s working.
I tried with sound record on the audio&video section of the application menu. I've noticed 1 thing. when i make some changes like enabling one source or another and i close the window, when i re-open alsa mixer there are no source enabled. strange ah?
I hope someone can help me.

thank you!

Tommaso Capelli

PS: I do apologize for my really bad english, but i'm italian...

Follow ups