News: Why Sony Disabled Intel's Virtual Technology (VT)

not sure if we collectively knew this already. I imagine a lot of you are on Slashdot, but if not:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/sony_vaio_virtualization_disabled/

Highlights:

   * ...Sony had not enabled hardware virtualization due to "very
     little if any requests until recently."
   * ...Sony's engineers and QA people were: "Very concerned that
     enabling VT would expose our systems to malicious code that could
     go very deep in the Operating System structure of the PC and
     completely disable the latter."
   * ...[Sony] said it will enable Intel's Virtual Technology
     (VT)...only on selected Sony Vaio models in the future. The Z
     series Vaio...won't be one of the machines selected.

Great to read the email that we have a workaround.

cheers,
eric