Re: Question regarding SD Card Slot

does work, although on many occasions (like now) it doesn't want to work
until I reboot with a card in the slot.  Any suggestions?

There is a patch I posted that fixes some problems with the sd card
reader. It is in the linux-mmc queue for one of the next kernels.

in the meantime, a quicker solution someone mentioned a while back which 'works for me' in 2.6.30 is to suspend (echo mem > /sys/power/state) and resume.
upon resume i get the device back as /dev/mmcblk0

it's just faster than rebooting...