Re: Update BIOS (only Linux installed)

On Do, 03 Dez 2009, David Svanberg wrote:
> > That also means that as long as linux cannot switch the soft way
> > updating the bios means that the nvdia card is LOST for linux!!!!
>
> That's something, isn't it? Probably there is no way to find the latest BIOS that presents the Nvidia card, still having the EFI support, and as well will work for Windows 7.

There have been several recommendations on the list for which BIOS works and which not!

And W7 *WORKS* I am running W7, but the brightness adjustments with hardware keys doe snot work.

> I see three options:

Do you also have the technical abilities to contribute to that?

> 1. Build a custom BIOS.

Obviously not, because you would know that building a BIOS is not
like building a new linux kernel.

> 2. Fix Linux to do the soft switch trick.

Good luck, PLEASE come up with a solution, you will be our hero.

> 3. Change hardware manufacturer.

Probably the best option, but I cannot afford to buy a new laptop.

> Probably 3 is the easiest. Just curious, is there any work done/ideas around the second option above?

See above.

> (I did Google the question "Just curious, is there any work done/ideas around the second option above?" and pressed the "I'm feeling lucky" button but it presented me to http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html that doesn't seem related because iPhone isn't Sony - yet)

read the mailing list archives! No progress.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   preining@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vienna University of Technology                               preining@xxxxxxxx
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    preining@xxxxxxxxxx
UMBERLEIGH (n.)
The awful moment which follows a dorchester (q.v.) when a speaker
weighs up whether to repeat an amusing remark after nobody laughed the
last time. To be on the horns of an umberleigh is to wonder whether
people didn't hear the remark, or whether they did hear it and just
didn't think it was funny, which was why somebody coughed.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff