Re: opencl/cuda on sony-vaio-z-series Re: Graphic card issue -- summary please

Yes, after installing the toolkit from here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

you should be able to compile cuda code. To test it you can download
the SDK too and try to compile the examples provided.
For the installation you can use the packages in repository of your
distro, as Michael wrote.
Anyway, if they are not available you have to do it by hand. I report
my experience about installing it on Slackware64 (I assume driver
version 190.42 driver installed).
I downloaded the toolkit and the sdk for Ubuntu 9.04 64bit:

cudasdk_2.3_linux.run
cudatoolkit_2.3_linux_64_ubuntu9.04.run

run the two scripts. By default they will install everything in:

/opt/cuda/
/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/

At this point you need to modify your PATH and MANPATH env vars to
point the binaries (compiler, profiler,...) and the manpages in
/opt/cuda/ and to configure the dynamic linker to use cuda libraries.
For the envvironment vars I created the file /etc/profile.d/cuda.sh containing:

#!/bin/sh
export PATH="${PATH}:/opt/cuda/bin:/opt/cuda/cudaprof/bin"
export MANPATH="${MANPATH}:/opt/cuda/man"

For the libraries just add the lib dir to /etc/ld.so.conf:

echo "/opt/cuda/lib64" >> /etc/ld.so.conf

and run ldconfig (as root).

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Mauro