Re: hybrid graphics cold switch

Hi Raphael,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Raphael Gradenwitz <
raphael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Patrick,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2009, 17:04 +0100 schrieb Patrick Valdellon:
> > I flashed my VAIO Z55TG with this bios using a dos-usbkey. (I can
> > write a simple howto, if required)
> > http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showpost.php?p=103834&postcount=592
> > I dicovered a setting named "VGA Switching Policy"
>
> That is well known on this list. Nothing new so far or did I miss
> something? Does that BIOS work 100% with Windows 7?

what exactly are you expecting not to work? nvidia drivers? I'll try
installing win7 on this efi tonight.

> I unlocked my BIOS (R2168M3) with an efi boot stick but I prefer to
> switch the graphic chip with the kernel commandline passed by grub,
> using "VGA Switching Policy = [auto]"
>
> > and set it to "Static". Since then I can switch the graphic cards with
> > a shutdown without using windows.
>
> The knowledge how to switch without Windows is present on this mailing
> list since "felt milleniums" ;-)
>
> Maybe reading this Mailing list a little bit more helps you to get such
> solutions faster in future ;-)

 I snooped around a bit in the archives and read stuff on this and other
sites, before i wrote my first email. I got the feeling xp was still needed
to do the switching, that's why i reported my findings

> > Only Problem so far is rebooting...it always hangs when linux tries a
> > reboot.
>
> You seem to use a too old BIOS.

I'm using R4040M3 now, because the newer ones lack the advanced options.
(Mine came with R5000)

> Read the archive of this list there are solutions to solve that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Raphael
>
> http://global-social.net/VGN-Z
>

> br,