Re : Re : switch-to-x dosen't stop himsel on intel

> Video under nVidia is a problem
The strange thing is that, until recently, playing video worked out of the box with default settings. I didn't do anything except updating my distrib (with karmic-proposed repository).

>> script). I was not able to start a X server with the nvidia driver
>> (even after the nvupdate in console mode).
>The installer runs in console mode (Not singel user mode!) after it is
>finished, it starts the gdm.

First, the janitor ftp downloaded the driver and I stop it when I saw the message claiming that I have to launch nvsetp in console mode (I was in a gnome session). May be I have to continue?
So I rebooted in console mode, followed the nvsetup warning and run a "telinit 3", give a few strike on "ok" button and after installation end, the janitor script resumes.
I can't remember if the script starts the gdm, but trying to stop/start with the nvidia driver gave me a dark screen. It was the same for intel but I have fixed it easly cause the xorg.conf.INTEL contains the line of janitor xorg.conf.NVIDIA (which was different that the one created by nvsetup).
I removed nvidia-concerned lines in xorg.conf.INTEL and was able to restart with intel (with correct glxinfo).

> Did you do exactly what the script told you to do? (Uninstalling all
> previous nvidia packages, reboot in speed mode with the kernel
> commandline 'acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"'?)
yes. I've done that before reinstalling the 1.85 driver with the janitor script.

>> So I painfully deinstall 1.90
> How did you do that? That doesn't have to be painfull.
> As far as I understood, you did not even install the driver but in case
> yo did, simply execute
> sudo /usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall
I've done that but the uninstaller need a package and I didn't know where the package was. Si I looked at your script to understand which one the script pick up from ftp, download and deinstall. After that I had warning message from ldconfig (don't know the exact message but something like "lib xxx is truncated"), so I had to manually removed
libGLcore.so.185 and fix the broken link as explained bellow.

>>  and resinstall 1.85 nvidia driver from repository.
> And why not with the janitor? Changing from nvidia ftp- to
> repository-driver is builtin.
yes, I used it for reinstalling 1.85 and it worked, except for switch-x-to on intel, but I surely done something wrong while trying to fix the link.

> I will fix that as soon as I can reconstruct it. I think I can see where
> the error is..
If I can help... so for now, I use nvidia and that's work. I give up with intel cause sometimes, I can even kill swith-x-to cause all the gnome session is displayed as if I was looking in a mirror. Very funny!

Thanks for your help,

Christophe

________________________________
De : Raphael Gradenwitz <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
À : Christophe Domas <domakistan@xxxxxxxx>
Cc : sony-vaio-z-series@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé le : Dim 13 Décembre 2009, 21 h 44 min 30 s
Objet : Re: [Sony-vaio-z-series] Re : switch-to-x dosen't stop himsel on intel

Hello Christophe,

Thank you fro feedback.

Am Sonntag, den 13.12.2009, 15:05 +0000 schrieb Christophe Domas:
> It seems that the mailing list is broken... so I respond to myself
> after some new results.
>
> Raphäel, I think I have detected where is the problem but not sure
> what to do to resolve it (my bash knowledge is very basic so I have
> some difficulties to understand what you're doing... but I work on
> it).
>
> I run the script with debug option (see attached log file) and there
> is an infinite loop caused by trying to find the target
> of /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa.
> When trying to fix my config to run glxgears on intel, the link
> /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa was broken cause set libGL.so.1
> which is in the parent diectory.
>
> So I manualy create libGL.so.1.xlibmesa -> libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa (see
> bellow for the complete list).
> It seems that was not a thing to do?

I will fix that as soon as I can reconstruct it. I think I can see where
the error is..

> De : Christophe Domas <domakistan@xxxxxxxx>
> À : sony-vaio-z-series@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Envoyé le : Dim 13 Décembre 2009, 9 h 40 min 39 s
> Objet : switch-to-x dosen't stop himsel on intel
>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a strange behaviour with switch-to-x.
>
> What I've done:
> With nvidia, since recently I could not seen video anymore.

Video under nVidia is a problem. You sometimes must take other codec
libs. I can see videos under nvidia with gxine or with vlc media player.
But some formats need other players. Under intel I can see without that
problems. But I allways find one player that works ;-)

> I figure it was due to an update of xorg or something like that, so I
> try the latest version of the Raphaël janitor script.
>
> I installed the last sony module (np5), the last stable nvidia driver
> 1.90.42 and the last switch-to-x script (I didn't run the acpi event
> script). I was not able to start a X server with the nvidia driver
> (even after the nvupdate in console mode).

The installer runs in console mode (Not singel user mode!) after it is
finished, it starts the gdm.
Did you do exactly what the script told you to do? (Uninstalling all
previous nvidia packages, reboot in speed mode with the kernel
commandline 'acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"'?)

> So I painfully deinstall 1.90

How did you do that? That doesn't have to be painfull.
As far as I understood, you did not even install the driver but in case
yo did, simply execute

sudo /usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall

and everything is removed in one painless stepp ;-)
And why didn't you do that with the janitor script?

>  and resinstall 1.85 nvidia driver from repository.

And why not with the janitor? Changing from nvidia ftp- to
repository-driver is builtin.

> The funny part is that the driver was not the problem: with nvidia
> card, the default video output still didn't work, and I had  to choose
> "OpenGL" video output on VLC and "X Window System (without Xv)" on
> gstreamer-properties  to play videos.

Exactly.

Regards,

Raphael