Re: Re : switch-to-x dosen't stop himsel on intel

Hello Christophe,

Thank you fro feedback.

Am Sonntag, den 13.12.2009, 15:05 +0000 schrieb Christophe Domas:
> It seems that the mailing list is broken... so I respond to myself
> after some new results.
>
> Raphäel, I think I have detected where is the problem but not sure
> what to do to resolve it (my bash knowledge is very basic so I have
> some difficulties to understand what you're doing... but I work on
> it).
>
> I run the script with debug option (see attached log file) and there
> is an infinite loop caused by trying to find the target
> of /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa.
> When trying to fix my config to run glxgears on intel, the link
> /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa was broken cause set libGL.so.1
> which is in the parent diectory.
>
> So I manualy create libGL.so.1.xlibmesa -> libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa (see
> bellow for the complete list).
> It seems that was not a thing to do?

I will fix that as soon as I can reconstruct it. I think I can see where
the error is..

> De : Christophe Domas <domakistan@xxxxxxxx>
> À : sony-vaio-z-series@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Envoyé le : Dim 13 Décembre 2009, 9 h 40 min 39 s
> Objet : switch-to-x dosen't stop himsel on intel
>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a strange behaviour with switch-to-x.
>
> What I've done:
> With nvidia, since recently I could not seen video anymore.

Video under nVidia is a problem. You sometimes must take other codec
libs. I can see videos under nvidia with gxine or with vlc media player.
But some formats need other players. Under intel I can see without that
problems. But I allways find one player that works ;-)

> I figure it was due to an update of xorg or something like that, so I
> try the latest version of the Raphaël janitor script.
>
> I installed the last sony module (np5), the last stable nvidia driver
> 1.90.42 and the last switch-to-x script (I didn't run the acpi event
> script). I was not able to start a X server with the nvidia driver
> (even after the nvupdate in console mode).

The installer runs in console mode (Not singel user mode!) after it is
finished, it starts the gdm.
Did you do exactly what the script told you to do? (Uninstalling all
previous nvidia packages, reboot in speed mode with the kernel
commandline 'acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"'?)

> So I painfully deinstall 1.90

How did you do that? That doesn't have to be painfull.
As far as I understood, you did not even install the driver but in case
yo did, simply execute

sudo /usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall

and everything is removed in one painless stepp ;-)
And why didn't you do that with the janitor script?

>  and resinstall 1.85 nvidia driver from repository.

And why not with the janitor? Changing from nvidia ftp- to
repository-driver is builtin.

> The funny part is that the driver was not the problem: with nvidia
> card, the default video output still didn't work, and I had  to choose
> "OpenGL" video output on VLC and "X Window System (without Xv)" on
> gstreamer-properties  to play videos.

Exactly.

Regards,

Raphael