Re: VGN-Z51WG_B

Hello Parthiban,

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 22:37 +0000 schrieb Parthiban Subramaniam:
> have installed both 64bit server(ubuntu-desktop) and desktop version of
> karmic in VGN-Z51WG_B followed the instructions given here
> http://global-social.net/VGN-Z all went well though i'm affected by this
> bug in the server edition
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/445952

Did you install both (dual boot)?

Why Server and Desktop since your Vaio-Z is everything but a server ;-)

A 'Desktop' system in fact is nothing else than a Server with a Desktop
environment on top of it, or did I miss something?

Your Vaio will only boot on one grub, the other grub is only present but
not known or seen from 'Stage 1' in your MBR since that can only point
to one 'Stage 2' in one /boot/ dir (Desktop or Server).

If you made changes in your "Server Installation", you have to return to
your "Desktop Installation" and run 'sudo-update' grub.

But that will maybe not change the commandline from your server setup.
Since your combination is REALY strange, nobody would even imagine such
a setup ;-)

Maybe it is better to install grub-legacy on the server, that makes it
much easier to handle

By the way, if you need a Server for developing or simply because you
want an OS-Zoo, you can setup one in a VirtualBox or Xen environment but
beside a Desktop... How do you want to reach that "server" while the
'Desktop Installation' is running?

> I have no problems with stamina mode on both server and desktop
> installation
>
> but nvidia is not working and even after 2 days of all the search and
> trying various things it is not working
>
> in speed mode it has only nvidia listed when i do
>
> lspci |grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M
> GS] (rev ff)

OK. That is good.

> but in stamina mode it lists both
>
>   lspci |grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
> Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M
> GS] (rev ff)

That is the default situation but not realy 'stamina' like it could
be ...

> i noticed that xorg.conf is not present in both the mode's

Intel (stamina) does not need a xorg.conf

> i'm lost on this one
>
> any advice or things that i can do to gain more understanding?

Use the 'sony-VGN-Zseries-janitor'

http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Z#janitor

> i'm ok with linux commandline and dont have any problems getting my hand
> dirty on that

commandline is not dirty :-|

Regards,

Raphael