Re: sony-janitor and nvidia 185: need log

Hello Christophe,

Am Sonntag, den 20.12.2009, 13:56 +0000 schrieb
domakmail-ubuntu@xxxxxxxx:
> For some times, I have some trouble with switch-x-to when booting with
> intel card: the switch-x-to starts an infinite loop while trying to
> find the target of /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa with
> dpkg--divert (certainly due to a bad manipulation of my part).

I see what you manipulated. Why are you not able to solve such easy
things yourself? Simply undo the steps you did..

> Could someone that have installed switch-x-to and nvidia-185 (from
> ubuntu repos) with the janitor script could run the following command
> and send me the result:
>
> ls -l /usr/lib/libGL* && ls -l /usr/lib/nvidia/ && dpkg-divert --list
> > log.txt

Wrong procedure!

You should undo your changes, simply fix the diverted symlinks:

To understand what I mean: make a diversion from a symlink and look
where it points to after it was diverted.

Imho the fault lays here:

domak@domakistan-laptop:~$ ll /usr/lib/nvidia/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 2009-12-12 18:45 libGL.so.1.xlibmesa -> libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa

That can not work.

this symlink should not point to libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa but to
libGL.so.1.2 (which is the original target it points to before it was
diverted, that target should not change after diversion)

simply run

sudo ln -fs libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa

that should fix that

Or you can undo the complete nvidia instalation, create a virgin system
and reinstall everything again:

while in stamina mode:

run the sanitor script and when it asks you if you want to install the
newest driver from nvidia ftp answer with yes, let the script uninstall
all the previous nvidia drivers

reinstall all the intel stuff again:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx

(you can check with dpkg-divert --list if the diversions are now
removed)

Next you can begin installing the driver again

      * if you want to install the repo driver, reboot twice without
        acpi_osi in commandline

      * if you want to install the nvidia ftp driver (my recommendation)
        you can simply now reboot in speed mode, the xserver will fail
        (don't be afraid, it MUST fail at this point) and it will tell
        you something about 'Ubuntu is running in Low Graphics mode",
        choose the last option (Comandline) and login, run

                sudo nvsetup

and get happy.

Regards,

Raphael