Newest nvidia driver installation on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid

Hello @ all,

those of you who already are using the new LTS Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
may have noticed that since the Xserver became updated to 7.5, the
nvidia packages from the distribution stoped functioning.

It has been decided to change the installation from the proprietary
drivers; in future there will be no more use of 'diversions', everything
will be done with 'alternatives' instead as one can read here on this
blueprints:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-xorg-proprietary-drivers

There is a new naming convention, the nvidia-driver will in future bear
the name 'nvidia-current' and its version-number will show us, which
nvidia driver is inside. That makes updating much easier.

It needs a different approach for the switching mechanism which I have
already integrated in the switch-x-to script and I have added support
for installation of the new drivers as well.

Just now, while I am writing this email, the new drivers are not yet in
the standard sources available (they will be soon).
If one already wants to test the newest available driver with the newest
sony-VGN-Zseries-janitor on Lucid should add this Personal Package
Archive (ppa) from Alberto Milone (the maintainer from the proprietary
drivers on Ubuntu) to his apt-sources:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/proprietary-video-improvements/ubuntu lucid main

... add the pgp key with this (console-) command:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 99C0198F

(Don't forget to remove this ppa later, it (shoul be) only for testing)

Then run the Janitor script (update itself) and do first a complete
removal of all nvidia-drivers (change -> uninstal) before runing it
again but now choose the option to install the driver from distri,
reboot *twice* in speed mode -> ready!

No more use of Jockey-Script or other helper scripts.

No more need to have a special acpi-status (speed/stamina/both cards
visible) it should now install the script in every state.

Much things got easier with this solution, some tests the janitor script
did in past became unneeded.

All other, older solutions should continue working, The scripts will
detect what solution actualy is running and/or available.

Regards,

Raphael Gradenwitz

http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Zseries