Re: Janitor script reports wrong version of np module

Hi Philipp,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.01.2010, 08:50 +0100 schrieb Philipp Blanke:
> Thank you very much. After removing the modules by hand, everything
> worked.

Good!

> I'm still interested why the janitor script gave me the wrong version
> number (0.6 instead of the installed 0.9np4), since this is the
> version of the applet I wonder if the script does something wrong
> there?

No. That has nothing to do with the applet.

0.6 is the version of the vanilla kernel module like you can see with
this command (one line):

# modinfo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko

I know exactly what happened in your case:

In an earlier run of the Janitor script - which is permanent under heavy
development - the kernel module installation process was not yet
completed; it was only added but not yet built.
This could happen in the past after Ubuntu changed the location of the
dkms_autoinstaller from /etc/init.d to /usr/lib/dkms/.
Meanwhile that is fixed:

if [ -f /usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller ]; then
dkms_autoinstaller='/usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller'
elif [ -f /etc/init.d/dkms_autoinstaller ]; then
dkms_autoinstaller='/etc/init.d/dkms_autoinstaller'
fi

Only very few people downloaded the bugy version, you seem to be one of
them, excuse me for that.

But now everything is fixed.

My advice:
Run the Janitor script more often in future.

e.g. it runs other tasks while in speed mode as it runs while in stamina
mode etc..

And:

it will fix bugs or such things like just now happened to you.

Regards,

Raphael Gradenwitz