Re: Ubuntu No Longer Boots

On 05/02/10 21:05, Bruno Santos wrote:
> Nevertheless, to actually be able to use the switch mechanism you have
> to do a completely different thing. There is a solution for the
> previous versions of the laptop
> here: http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Z#janitor.

I recommend the janitor script if you do any switching between display
adapters.

> Although there are still problems when using both LInux and Windows7,
> with works perfectly with windows vista. I wasn't able to find many
> details of your model but I think it is still using only the two
> positions for the switch so it should work.

Let me clarify this - it doesn't depend on which version of Windows you
have installed, it's the BIOS version (and associated ACPI tables) that
determine if things will work easily for you.  If your laptop shipped
with Windows 7, your BIOS will not allow you to use the nVidia card
under Linux without some hackery, as described in my blog entry[1], and
posted to this list a couple of days ago.

Cheers,
Pete

[1]
http://0xc0dedbad.com/blog/2010/01/30/dual-boot-linux-and-windows-7-on-sony-vaio-z/