Re: nvidia 190.53 drivers with wine

Hello Jason,

Am Montag, den 08.03.2010, 12:20 -0500 schrieb ravenskrag@xxxxxxxxx:
> Perhaps this is not the best place to pose this question, but the vaio
> z's graphics seem to be the root of various different problems, so I
> figured I would at least ask.  I am running 64 bit ubuntu karmic and
> apparently wine needs 32 bit graphics libraries even on a 64-bit OS,
> so I was wondering if it is ok to simply install the 32-bit drivers on
> top of what I already have.  Or will that simply smash all the
> symlinks? My 3D support for native linux apps seems to be fine using
> the nvidia card.  Also, I don't have this problem if I use the jockey
> script to install the drivers.  I assume that the FTP download only
> installs the 64-bit drivers, as would make sense for a 64 bit system.
> But then why does the jockey work? As you can see, I am quite
> confused.  I would just use the 185 drivers, but they seem to have
> slight problems with heat and performance, and would really be
> appreciate being able to use the newer driver.

Yes, the jockey script (can) install the 64- and 32 bit libraries. The
Janitor-Script installs the 'ia32-libs' with the 32-bit version of the
libGL.
If you want to use a newer version from the ftp server, you have to do a
lot of installation by hand. You must exactly know what you are doing! I
will propably not add that feature in the janitor script:

you must (I am shooting from the hip) ..

- Download the x86 (32 bit) version of the driver
- unpack only the driver:
  /path/to/driver-version.run -x --target /unpack/dir
- Integrate the /unpack/dir/usr/lib content to /usr/lib32 and the
  /unpack/dir/usr/X11R6/lib/modules content to /usr/lib32/xorg/modules
  by changing the script /usr/share/sony-laptop/switch-x-to if
  necessary.

I can not guarantee if that is enough, if yes, be happy ;-)

Regards,

Raphael Gradenwitz