From: Kim Lindberg <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sony-vaio-z-series@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Sony-vaio-z-series] Broken wifi?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:01:32 +0100

I will try tonight!

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Kim Lindberg <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
        To start from the beginning - I bought my Sony Vaio VGN-Z11 VN/B
        about 1,5 years ago. Aside Windows Vista I've been dual-booting
        Ubuntu almost ever since. In Ubuntu, and Ubuntu only, I've
        experienced problems with my wifi sporadically stopping working.
        'Stopping working' as in the front-led turning off and behaviors
        as if having rfkilled the wifi. The only way to get it working
        again was to reboot OR to suspend/resume. So far, the problem
        was very infrequent and mostly related to suspends/resumes not
        reinitializing correctly. I didn't think too much about it.

        Now just recently, I've been getting the problem in Windows too.
        Led going black and the only way to get wifi up again is to
        reboot or suspend/resume. I've reinstalled drivers and even
        reinstalled OS without any improvement.

        A third observation is I think the wifi is now sensitive to
        movement. I.e. if I carry the laptop or just move it, I suspect
        it stop working more easily.

        The third observation to me indicates some kind of hardware
        glitch, but since I've experienced problems from the beginning
        only in Linux I'm a bit confused. However, this is turning in to
        a nightmare because for the last few days I can only use wifi
        for a couple of minutes before it goes off.

        Currently I'm running Windows 7 and the latest BIOS. At the
        moment Ubuntu is not even installed as I'm trying the sort this
        out, but I was recently using Ubuntu Karmic.

        Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?

        Regards,
        Kim