Re: Laptop crashing

ravenskrag@xxxxxxxxx wrotes:
So my vaio z seems to crash somewhat randomly, with the screen going
black except for the mouse cursor.  Nothing responds so I do a hard
reset.  The caps lock and scroll lock lights flash as well.  Does
anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  My touchpad also
randomly stops working sometimes, and I wonder if the two may be
related, as the problems started happening around the same time.

I have similar problems with my Z21MN with a Ubuntu Karmic installed: my intuition says that it is related to the Intel wireless driver. This kind of lock (two blinking leds) is usual on heavy usage of the wifi connection (try to download many Gb from a local server) or sometimes on resume from standby. I've tried to use the backported (from recent kernerls) driver provided in the Karmic packages provided by linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic. With these drivers I had no-locks under heavy usage but sometimes the system become unstable on the standby-resume process. I've removed it.

I hope in better wireless drivers on Ubuntu 10.10.

my 2¢

Mario