Re: switch with kernel

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Peter Fern <sonylinux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 31/03/10 19:32, Chris Cannam wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Ben Klausner <klausner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, my one try at booting [Lucid], wireless wasn't working yet.
>>>
>> With my VPC model, wireless actually works fine in the Lucid beta --
>> it's just video that doesn't work...
>
> Try the EDID hack I detail here [1], though I don't know if it will work
> without the custom BIOS hack.

That is specifically for getting the nVidia card to work, right?

I will try it -- thanks! -- though at the moment I'm really just
trying to get Intel video working.

Even if I remove all nVidia-specific modules -- including the
drm/nouveau.ko kernel modesetting module -- the Intel i915 KMS driver
still blows up, giving a blank screen on console mode setting.  And
disabling mode setting won't help, because the Intel Arrandale video
drivers won't operate without it.

But what really bothers me is the fact that it _does_ work when
running from the live image, just not when installed.  There's
apparently something specific about in the Lucid live image that
tickles the card or BIOS correctly, but I can't work out what it is.
(The Fedora 13 alpha live image, for example, lacks the magic -- it
behaves the same way as the Lucid installed system, locking up on
KMS.)

btw I started out with Lucid because 9.10 doesn't work at all, the
Intel driver freezes as soon as I press a mouse button.

Chris