Re: sony-laptop (z11 2010)

Hi - "First of all". I had found no mention of a mailing list on your webpage. I am actually not a ubuntu user. Apologies.
I'm now registered there however.

I dumped my ACPI and interpreted it with intel's iasl. Works fine. I found out in the DSDT that the module's path for activating the video card mode changed from OVGA to GFX0.

Changing the relevant string in sony-laptop.c from OVGA to GFX0 (its a zero in this one) will more or less work. After this change you can echo speed or stamina in the relevant sys entry, like for previous Z laptops. The LED will lit accordingly and the card seems activated as it is detected by the nvidia driver after this change. However on my kernel, there still seems to be some ACPI troubles and the card does not appear to be fully active, or something like that. That is, it will refuse copying from/to video memory and thus X will still fail to start.

Going to try to find out what's the difference between this and when I activate the card using an older kernel (the acpi_osi="!Windows 2006" trick does not work for me even after several reboots - however the keyboard works properly only with this option on, when the nvidia card is activated - yeah its a bit messy).

The ACPI documentation is huge so i'm skipping parts and doing a lot of guessing instead - if anyone having a real understanding of ACPI feel free to correct me anywhere I could be wrong or assuming things wrongly.

ps: i have an european version of the Z11, I am also assuming the firmware is different from the US version, as I have read somewhere (forgot where ;)