Can't Open Display

Running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Z530N. Ran the janitor script, which seemed to be
successful. Made sure that /etc/default/grub had the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\\\"!Windows 2006\\\""

Rebooted a couple of times, and noticed that the boot messages came up in a
much smaller font than before, presumably because the screen was at a higher
res setting.

But instead of the login splash, I get an error "can't open display", and
get dumped to the command line! Put GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX back the way it was,
rebooted twice (why does it take two boots?), and got back where I was, with
graphics, but locked in STAMINA mode.

Suggestions?

Follow ups