Re: INTEL card issues on Sony Vaio VPC Z1

Hi Adam,

On 27/08/10 05:57, Adam Hill wrote:
> but Grub 2 is necessary because the driver in the kernel obviously fails to
> initialise something, and so Grub2 is needed to get the console in to
> 1920x1080 before the kernel is loaded... unless there is an equivalent of the
> "gfxpayload=keep" setting in Grub2.
Thanks! Wasn't aware of this yet. How does this work though? Because ususally the kernel does everything on it's own? I see 2 possibilities: a) So grub2 adds then kernel parameters to BLOCK any "vga" or "vesa" or "fb" related activity?! b) So grub2 adds the necessary kernel parameters to make the kernel switch to the same resolution... ?

> Unfortunately if you don't have the HD panel, then at the minute I'm not
> sure of a solution.
I saw such a lot of noise on the ml already about this panel (but did not follow it in detail)... Is the grub2 gfxpayload=keep "trick" working? And then it is "just" the Xorg driver? Maybe someone else on this list could respond to that (if he/she has a working (but probably "bodgy" - I like that word (see my PS) solution?

> constantly try to prod Jesse at Intel and feed him
How do you do that (to join you in your efforts :)?
Would you be on IRC somewhere? .. e.g. the intel channel: irc.freenode.net: #intel-gfx?

	I wasn't aware that this was a Ubuntu specific list really! As far as I'm
concerned all are welcome :).
Good to know ... and welcome Paolo! I am happy about every non-Ubuntu user ;)

on a
2.6.35.1 kernel and Sony VAIO laptop np7 module patched as suggested by
Adam.

	There is a lot of fragmented info around
... yes... like everything in Linux: You have /many/ solutions for one thing --> the user has the choice... but not all of them are of the same quality (so its the user who has to find out ;).

I think, now that I solved the grub2 install from source-code problem (see my other posting here) I will soon attack the kernel (from source-code) ... And I would like to create a Z12 Gentoo Howto and for now stick to "Adams-Way for Z12 with 1920x1080", it would not contain any information about debian packages, but only the /raw/ GNU Linux solution that is: SOURCE CODE + PATCHES (which ultimately would work for *every* distribution ;)

Could you possibly be so kind to answer a couple of questions for me?
(and please feel free to point me to documentation that answers my questions already)
(and it would really be ok if you just throw the uncommented files at me)
(I tried to think of /all/ questions along the way... I hope they all make sense... but of course we can attack them one by one or maybe better category by category ;)

/// GRUB2 ///
c) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ grub2 config? (like what other commands other than the gfxpayload=keep?)

/// KERNEL ///
d) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of all your kernel options?

e) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ kernel config?

f) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of the kernel-patches you are using?

/// XORG ///
g) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of the Xorg package versions (as the intel driver usually needs specific versions of e.g. mesa...) you are using?

h) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of the patches necessary for any of these Xorg packages (e.g. the intel graphic driver I suppose?)?

i) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere your /complete/ Xorg config file (or are you using the auto-generated one)?

/// MISC ///
j) For as the hardware of the Sony is concerned:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of software (additional to the patched kernel, grub2 and the Xorg specific packages) you are using?

k) Related to j:
Is there somewhere a /complete/ list of patches necessary?

l) Your BIOS is (still) unhacked (not unlocked), right?

m) ( I've got rid of the need for the printing of the dots by the way! )
Where would I find an explanation on how this is done (or it is fixed in one of the patches?)

Thanks a lot for any answer(s)!

Knuth

P.S.: Funnily the word bodge was in none of my dictionaries ;)
("a bodge": A clumsy or inelegant job, usually a temporary repair.)