Re: INTEL card issues on Sony Vaio VPC Z1

> I read somewhere that the brightness control of the LCD is handled by the
> intel card, regardless of which card is used for the graphics.  With the
> above patch, does this mean brightness control is possible?  And does it
> also work when nvidia is used too?

	Actually, yes it should be possible providing that the machine is not in
static switching mode, because even when the NVidia card is used, the logic
functions of the Intel card are still active and visible to ACPI. That is how
Windows can contril brightness when using NVidia.

	However, the fly in the ointment is that there is also not currently a
way to use the NVidia card in dynamic switching mode - neither the Nouveau or
NVidia drivers work with the Intel card visible on the PCI bus. This should be
possible to get round, but I really haven't had time to investigate because I
have no real desire to use the NVidia card in Linux myself.

	It seems that the problem is:

NVidia drivers: X detects the Intel card as the primary graphic device and so
passes the wrong PCI ID... the NVidia drivers try to initialise the Intel card
and realise that it isn't an NVidia one, and so fail. If you pass a BUSID in
the config file, a similar thing happens to the Nouveau driver.

Nouveau: It seems here that the driver can't cope with the fact that the Intel
card was initialised at boot time, and so has its memory mapped etc, whilst
the NVidia card doesn't. This should, I would imagine, be fixable, but
certainly not by me :(.

Adam.