Re: Adam's kernel, compiling i915 module

On Saturday 02 October 2010 16:09:06 Artur Avila wrote:
> First I would like to thank Adam and the list: following his howto and
> with some extra help from the mailing list archives, I managed to get
> my z12 (i5, 1600x1200) working with the intel card by using Adam's
> kernel and the i915 module provided in his test directory (without it
> I get a blank screen).

	Hmm, I didn't think that there was much need for my kernel now since most
people have managed to find workarounds that work for them... and this is the
first I've heaard of the 1600x1200 panel working with it at all!

>  Powertop indicated 20+W consumption, and the main issue
> was that CONFIG_NO_HZ was not set.  I compiled Adam's kernel (vanilla
> 2.6.35-rc6+vaioz patch) with this option

	I get around 14W normally, and to be honest I use it on AC power most of
the time so that was good enough. However, since it was no real effort, I've
replaced the kernel in my directory with one that has NO_HZ configured, and
also has the i915.ko from the test directory ( which I've now removed to avoid
confusion. ) I hope that it works for you!

Adam