Adam's kernel, compiling i915 module

First I would like to thank Adam and the list: following his howto and
with some extra help from the mailing list archives, I managed to get
my z12 (i5, 1600x1200) working with the intel card by using Adam's
kernel and the i915 module provided in his test directory (without it
I get a blank screen).

Everything is working great (with intel at least, which is all I care
about at the moment), except that I noticed my battery life is really
not great.  Powertop indicated 20+W consumption, and the main issue
was that CONFIG_NO_HZ was not set.  I compiled Adam's kernel (vanilla
2.6.35-rc6+vaioz patch) with this option, but (unsurprisingly) the
``improved'' i915.ko no longer loads.  I thought of applying the extra
patch (test-colour-mod-2.6.35-rc6-vaioz.patch), but it did not apply
cleanly (and ignoring the issue and compiling the kernel anyway did
not solve the blank screen problem).  Is there some extra step I am
missing in trying to produce an working kernel?

Artur

Follow ups