VPC-Z12CGX Brightness and WiFi

I figured I'd ask here...  After a bit of working I've got Ubuntu
10.10 on here.  Its only working with the Nvidia card at the moment.
My way of getting there was to read the bios out and edit it to enable
advanced features.  This allows me to set the bios so that the
position of the switch at boot time is the only card thats made
available to the system.  Later I may try to get things working in a
similar fashion with the Intel card but I've not yet tried.

I have two main problems that bug me.  The first of which is that I
have no control over the brightness.  The volume keys work but no
brightness.  I've done some searching around and all the stuff that
people say works on their Vaio does nothing for me...  Even if I could
just get a console command that would allow me to manually adjust the
backlight brightness I'd be happier.

The last piece is that my Wifi works but I'm unable to connect to
anything at over 54 Mbit.  If I connect to it in windows I can move
things very fast but in Ubuntu its quite slow by comparison.  Great
machine and so far its mostly working...

Thanks

~Brett