Re: Arch linux kernel

On 10/18/2010 09:55 AM, Vasilito Pupkin wrote:
The performance of intel card with Compiz on on all of Adam's kernels is
poor. Same with KDE's kwin. On an inferior notebook or even netbook the
intel card normally flies with compiz or kwin.

not sure if your Z1 is the same as my Z690 or if you have another reason to prefer the Intel card (power?), but I have only used the Nvidia because its the one connected to my DVI port (which I need). The Nvidia card works very well with the prebuilt Arch kernel + compiz.

if this is an option for you, what I have done is:

1. added to end of my kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
# acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"

2. built and installed the modified sony-laptop driver here:
http://www.logic.at/people/preining/software/sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7.tar.gz

3. added to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:
options sony-laptop speed_stamina=3

4. leave my SPEED/STAMINA set on SPEED