Re: Kernelpatching

Hello,

I am a user of Arch Linux, and this time, I just want to use Adam's
hacked kernel.
I have read all your instructions, but I did not manage to boot.

First of all, I have downloaded
linux-image-2.6.37-6-vaioz_2.6.37-6.16_amd64.deb and
linux-headers-2.6.37-6-vaioz_2.6.37-6.16_amd64.deb, and unpacked them
using "ar" and extracted them using "tar" on the data.tar.gz of each
archive to root /.
Then, I have modified the bootloader, but I have no idea what to put
in the initrd, since there is no .img in the files I have downloaded.

So, I have thought that we have to build that .img by ourselves, using
mkinitcpio.

Here is the command line I used:

# mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel-2.6.37-6-vaioz.img -k 2.6.37-6-vaioz

But, it says that the modules.dep is missing from /lib/modules/2.
.../. So I have just copied the modules.dep from the initial kernel to
the new one.
The building has then run successfully, but I cannot boot, since it
does not really detect my linux partition /etc/sda4.

So, could you check the different steps I have done, because these
hacked kernels really make life simpler.

Thanks for your help.

Edouard.

Follow ups