Getting Speed mode working on a VPCZ13M9E

Hi all,

I recently bought a VPCZ13M9E and have been trying to get Ubuntu 10.10
setup. With the help of the custom kernels (thanks for all your efforts!) I
now have a working installation in Stamina mode, but I'm having trouble
getting Speed mode working.

In Stamina mode everything seems fine. If I then install the Nvidia drivers
(via. jockey), switch to Speed mode and reboot, the machine doesn't get past
the console screen. If I login from the command line and then run 'startx' I
get the "no screens found" error. If I reboot back in to Stamina mode I also
have some issues - windows lacking title bars etc. which I think means
Compiz isn't working, so presumably it's trying to use the Nvidia drivers
there too (uninstalling them fixes the problem).

I'm running the custom kernel (2.6.37-6-vaioz) with the upstart script
installed. I've tried enabling the ubuntu-x-updates PPA to get more recent
Nvidia drivers. Some of the guides talk about booting into older kernels
once just after the Nvidia drivers are installed, but the kernel numbers
don't match my options so I'm a little unsure what I'd need to do there (for
reference by kernel choices on boot are: 2.6.37-6-vaioz, 2.6.35-25-generic,
2.6.35-22-generic).

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction!

Cheers,
Tim.

Follow ups