Re: Getting Speed mode working on a VPCZ13M9E

On 01/31/2011 09:06 PM, Tim Fountain wrote:
> In Stamina mode everything seems fine. If I then install the Nvidia
> drivers (via. jockey), switch to Speed mode and reboot, the machine
> doesn't get past the console screen

I had success using the driver package from nvidia.com, see here:

http://www.adhocism.net/2010/11/installing-ubuntu-10-10-on-sony-vaio-vpc-z13m9eb/

Both modes now work, if I boot into the switching kernel first when I change modes.

I still have a couple of problems.

* When changing from speed to stamina, the first boot ends in a blank screen (with a frozen cursor in the top left corner). (RSEIUB works, and the second boot works ok.)

* Compiz starts and stops working in stamina mode sometimes, I haven't figured out what to do to re-enable it.

* Sometimes the Speed/Stamina switch does not work when booting into Windows.

Cheers,
Heikki