Re: status of graphics switch support in vanilla kernels

My laptop is a sony vaio vpcz1390X, I am running Ubuntu maverick with
the 2.6.38-rc2 natty kernel and I can boot directly on power up, without a
BIOS patch or booting into an older kernel.  I do need the "acpi_os=" kernel
parameter however.  This works for both the speed setting and stamina
setting. lspci reports only one VGA chip for the respective settings.  I
have not tried auto.  Oddly, 2.6.38-r3 and -r4 precompiled kernels do not
work for me.  Won't get around to compiling my own kernel for a while.

I have full hardware functionality, except for the internal microphone (no
big deal, bought a $10 plug in).  The plug-in external microphone works
great without any modifications to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file.
Speakers and headphone sound great as well, especially the headphones that
came with the laptop.

I can get suspend to work with the stamina setting but with the speed
setting, I get the black screen.  I have tried the  "--quirk-test
--quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode" parameters but that does not seem to make a
difference, still the blank screen.  I would appreciate any suggestions on
this front.

No fingerprint functionality, hardware doesn't seem to get detected, lsusb
and lspci do not report it.

wifi and bluetooth work and so does the SD card reader.  Most of the Fn
buttons work aside from brightness in speed mode.  Could probably map the
keys as per my next comment.  Same with the magnify keys if you've go compiz
installed.  But i haven't gotten around to that yet.

btw, brightness can be controlled through the nvidia-settings, however the
precompiled kernel does not have the PM_debug turned on so I cannot tell
with powertop if it is indeed using less power.

have not tried hibernate(suspend to disk).  haven't checked the hdmi out
either.  previously (with an adam's kernel) the video worked but no sound.