high CPU/GPU usage

Dear all,

I have a VGN-Z21MN/B with Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit installed. Switching between
Intel and Nvidia works fine thanks to the Janitor script.

After updating to 10.04 I am observing pretty high CPU usage when using the
Nvidia card with an external screen (BenQ V2410T). top shows my only about
25 % CPU for Xorg, but the CPU loading shown by the gnome tool (system
management tool? in German it is Systemüberwachung) shows 70 % on both CPUs.
Additionally the temperature for the GPU is pretty high (86 C). This all
happens when either in idle mode or with only firefox (4 or 5 windows open)
running. And all this results in the fan spinning at high power, making a
lot of noise. With the intel card the CPU usage is low (20 %) and fan
activity is as expected low as well.

Is there any explanation why the CPU/GPU have such high loadings? Is there a
way to 'down clock' the GPU so that it reduces power at lower temps,
resulting in less fan activity? I could deal with less speed on the graphics
since I am mostly doing office work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tobias.