Re: Z12 and 11.04

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Thomas Jensen <vaio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> what exactly is the acpi_oci trick?

I take it you are asking how to do it?

Edit /etc/default/grub, and change the line beginning
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="

Then update grub by typing

update-grub

This makes the speed/stamina hardware switch work, but only after you
have booted into a kernel with the acpi_osi boot parameter enabled,
and rebooted, and changed the switch before the reboot. So it comes
into effect during reboot. Somebody please correct me if this is not
right. This should be in the wiki as well I think.

* * *

Also, I've just written about my experiences in installing 11.04 in my
blog. Stamina works easily, but I had problems with Nvidia like many
people here. I'm now trying a reinstall without installing the ubuntu
nvidia packages, I think they messed up the installation.

The great thing is that suspend finally works for me (VPC-Z13) out of
the box in stamina. I never got it to work in 10.10 despite a lot of
tries.

http://www.adhocism.net/2011/05/installing-ubuntu-11-04-on-sony-vaio-vpc-z13m9eb/

I also updated the wiki.

BTW, it might be a good idea to feature the wiki a bit more prominenty
on the Z-series Launchpad front page so that people would find it
easier.

Cheers,
Heikki