Re: Z12 and 11.04

ons, 25 05 2011 kl. 09:27 +0300, skrev Heikki Wilenius:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Thomas Jensen <vaio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > what exactly is the acpi_oci trick?
>
> I take it you are asking how to do it?
>
> Edit /etc/default/grub, and change the line beginning
> "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" to
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="
>
> Then update grub by typing
>
> update-grub
>
> This makes the speed/stamina hardware switch work, but only after you
> have booted into a kernel with the acpi_osi boot parameter enabled,
> and rebooted, and changed the switch before the reboot. So it comes
> into effect during reboot. Somebody please correct me if this is not
> right. This should be in the wiki as well I think.
>
> * * *
>
> Also, I've just written about my experiences in installing 11.04 in my
> blog. Stamina works easily, but I had problems with Nvidia like many
> people here. I'm now trying a reinstall without installing the ubuntu
> nvidia packages, I think they messed up the installation.
>
> The great thing is that suspend finally works for me (VPC-Z13) out of
> the box in stamina. I never got it to work in 10.10 despite a lot of
> tries.
>
> http://www.adhocism.net/2011/05/installing-ubuntu-11-04-on-sony-vaio-vpc-z13m9eb/
>
> I also updated the wiki.
>
> BTW, it might be a good idea to feature the wiki a bit more prominenty
> on the Z-series Launchpad front page so that people would find it
> easier.
>
> Cheers,
> Heikki

Hi,
great it works. I now have a working stamina-speed switch and right now
I'm running on the Nvidia chip, with latest Nvidia drivers. I've done
nothiing else, than install a stock 11.04. When I boot with the switch
in stamina mode, I get the colorfull vertical lines, so I can't see the
Grub menu, but Ubuntu starts just fine.

"glxinfo | grep rendere" reports:
"OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9300M GS/PCI/SSE2"
This has until now always reported the Intel chip....wuuuhuuu....

As others have reported, brightness buttons no longer work though.

My model is the Vaio VGN-Z21WN