Re: Linux on VPC-Z21

Hi Rob,

On Fr, 16 Sep 2011, Rob Mukai wrote:
> What works:

That are the easy ones ...

> Stuff that is broken or needs a LOT of help:

That are the hard ones everyone knows.

> -Power consumption is really high even with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset
> i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_fbc=1
> i915.lvds_downclock=1" in /etc/default/grub

Recently someone posted a fix for ivybridge or so here on the list,
it fas some  blablabla disable for i915.

> -Brightness control using fn+F5 and fn+F6 - indicator changes but actual
> screen brightness does not. Tried adding acpi_brightness=vendor to kernel
> line and it just made the indicator go away.

with the intel card running?

> -Ctl+Alt+F2 etc. Does NOT work. Just brings up a blank black screen. The
> term is there though. If I type my login info and do a echo "test" >
> test.txt , it creates the file. Just can't see anything.

again, with intel card running?

> -Fingerprint reader - Fingerprint-GUI doesn't detect the reader. I believe
> it just needs a new device added to the detection as ID 08ff:168f AuthenTec,
> Inc. is the same as 08ff:1660 and 08ff:1680.

No, probably only the permissions are not set properly for the usb sys fs
so you cannot read it.

> -Suspend and Hybernate don't work. Actually goes into suspension, just comes
> back with black screen. Not sure if this is related to encrypted /home. I
> tried unencrypting swap but didn't help.

that is irrelevant. probably another ivybridge or so problem.

> -WWAN - Huawei Gobi 3000 not detected by Network-Manager. lsusb says: ID
> 12d1:14f1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

I faintly remember you have to get a special driver for the gobi module,
but since in my  sony there is HSO I am not sure.

> -External Display not picking up. Doesn't look like the Radeon driver is

radeon.

I guess most of  your problems go away when you switch to intel.

Best wishes

Norbert
WEEM (n.)
The tools with which a dentist can inflict the greatest
pain. Formerly, which tool this was dependent upon the imagination and
skill of the individual dentist, though now, with technological
advances, weems can be bought specially.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff