Fwd: Linux on VPC-Z21

Oops, forgot to reply to all ;-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob Mukai <dothedog2010@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Sony-vaio-z-series] Linux on VPC-Z21
To: Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>

Norbert, Thanks for the quick reply.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> On Fr, 16 Sep 2011, Rob Mukai wrote:
> > What works:
>
> That are the easy ones ...
>
> > Stuff that is broken or needs a LOT of help:
>
> That are the hard ones everyone knows.
>
> > -Power consumption is really high even with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset
> > i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_fbc=1
> > i915.lvds_downclock=1" in /etc/default/grub
>
> Recently someone posted a fix for ivybridge or so here on the list,
> it fas some  blablabla disable for i915.
>
> I'll dig around and see if I can find that.

> > -Brightness control using fn+F5 and fn+F6 - indicator changes but actual
> > screen brightness does not. Tried adding acpi_brightness=vendor to kernel
> > line and it just made the indicator go away.
>
> with the intel card running?

Yes that is with the intel card running. The radeon is in the external media
dock.

> > -Ctl+Alt+F2 etc. Does NOT work. Just brings up a blank black screen. The
> > term is there though. If I type my login info and do a echo "test" >
> > test.txt , it creates the file. Just can't see anything.
>
> again, with intel card running?

Yes, I saw somewhere that it may be trying to pipe it through the external
card. I will try that but it should work with just the intel card running?

> > -Fingerprint reader - Fingerprint-GUI doesn't detect the reader. I
> believe
> > it just needs a new device added to the detection as ID 08ff:168f
> AuthenTec,
> > Inc. is the same as 08ff:1660 and 08ff:1680.
>
> No, probably only the permissions are not set properly for the usb sys fs
> so you cannot read it.

Could you tell me which file to look for so I can change the perrmissions? I
think actually that the card id is too new. looking at the Authentec site it
says that my card (id:  08ff:168f) is the same as 08ff:1680 and 1660

http://support.authentec.com/KnowledgeBase/KBview/tabid/843/ArticleId/299/Identifying-your-Fingerprint-Sensor-Model.aspx

Where fingerprint-gui site says they only support the 08ff:1600 here:
https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fingerprint-gui

Maybe I need to put in a bug report? Or have you gotten it working?

> > -Suspend and Hybernate don't work. Actually goes into suspension, just
> comes
> > back with black screen. Not sure if this is related to encrypted /home. I
> > tried unencrypting swap but didn't help.
>
> that is irrelevant. probably another ivybridge or so problem.

Ok, So I can re-encrypt everything and I should be able to get it working?

> > -WWAN - Huawei Gobi 3000 not detected by Network-Manager. lsusb says: ID
> > 12d1:14f1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
>
> I faintly remember you have to get a special driver for the gobi module,
> but since in my  sony there is HSO I am not sure.
>
> > -External Display not picking up. Doesn't look like the Radeon driver is
>
> radeon.
>
> I guess most of  your problems go away when you switch to intel.

Unfortunately, none of this works WITH the intel card. Also, one other
thing, I am running the latest MESA stack (compiled). Here is the output
from glxinfo:

$ glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.12-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. Where are you in Japan? I lived there for many years.