Re: oneiric already worth trying?

Hi there,

Upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric this week on my Sony Vaio VPCZ13 without any problems. Before that I had it running Natty without any (real) issues.

I have a hacked bios, set to static switching. I only run on Stamina mode (Intel GPU). Don't have the need for Nvidia card. I still have Windows 7 on another partition, so I can play games on the Nvidia.

Video and rendering is fine. Audio works. Fingerprint reader works nice (e.g. sudo and just swipe your finger instead of having to type your password every time). Webcam, touchpad, card reader, volume and brightness buttons, all work.

What doesn't work yet: internal microphone (external does work), gobi2000 wwan (because I haven't tried configuring yet), GPS unit in gobi2000 (nothing useful found on the net), HDMI (probably because I disabled Nvidia).

I run the default Oneiric kernel. And I applied the latest sony-laptop module (0.9np8) from Norbert Preining for more control options, like battery charge limit and optical drive power off.

Currently I'm trying to get the ambient light sensor to handle keyboard and screen brightness. Someone already made good efforts, but in Oneiric I can't get that code to compile (other recent thread).

Because I read that this kernel has some regressions related to power management, I applied some kernel boot parameters to try to mitigate the problem: pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1.

Why don't you try running Oneiric from USB first?

If there's anything else you'd like to know?

Best,

Wouter