Re: System freeze using sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np8pre3

Craig,

Please subscribe to the mailing list and email that instead.  You can do
that by going to your profile page and looking for email settings:

  https://launchpad.net/people/+me/+editemails

(after you join the sony-vaio-z-series team, an option to subscribe will
show up on the above page)

У чет, 23. 02 2012. у 22:27 +0000, craigsblackie пише:

> I recently formatted my laptop and reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10, I
> downloaded the source for sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np8pre3 and added it to
> DKMS and installed the module.
>
> Whenever I boot my system with the module, typing or moving the mouse
> causes a system freeze that requires a hard reboot. The minute I remove
> the module, I can boot and run the OS stable again.

I experienced the same problem with my VGN-Z790 and Ubuntu 11.10 and
12.04 betas.

FWIW, I found out that it works fine to load it after booting is
complete.  Also, I had better luck using gdm instead of lightdm for the
login manager.

Unfortunately, leaving it running in that locked state messes up the
root partition for me, and I usually need to reformat it and reinstall
the system. Unity usually won't load after that, though gnome-shell
does.

At the moment, I lack the time to investigate it further, especially
since failed experiment means that I have to reinstall (and I've did it
a few times already).

> There doesn't seem to be anything strange in the logs that might imply
> what's going wrong, I would really like to get this working as the
> module adds a lot of battery life and functionality to the install.

FWIW, I just boot the system with sony-laptop module blacklisted, and
once loaded, I do "modprobe sony-laptop".  Since I mostly just suspend
it, that is a usable workaround for me, but it might not be for you.

Cheers,
Danilo

Follow ups