Ubuntu 12.04 on Sony VPCZ1 - LiveCD works great, Drops to Busybox after install

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask for help..
I've been using Ubuntu 11.10 GNU/Linux on my Sony Vaio VPCZ with success
- I wrote up the few steps I took to make it work for me at: http
://linux-on-sony-vaio-z.wikispaces.com/VPCZ114GX

But now, I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 and it won't boot... Can't find the
root device at /dev/by-uuid  (nothing shows up in there), then drops to
busybox. I've tried a rootdelay=160 and that doesn't help. I also tried
replacing the UUID with the path to /dev/mapper/isgwXXX-blah-blah but no
success.

What's crazy is that the Ubuntu 12.04 runs perfectly on this computer
from the LiveCD, that's how I installed it on here. Would be nice if
Ubuntu did some kind of sanity comparison check between the running
LiveCD system and that which gets installed.  One thing I did notice
that is weird though is that the partitions in /dev/mapper/isgwXXXXX are
listed twice in the 12.04 installer.. This is different then when
installing 11.10 - where there's only one set of partitions listed
there. I made sure to install the grub on the base /dev/mapper/isgwXXXX-
blah device so I don't think it's a grub problem. And when I inspect the
UUIDs of the drives in the installed grub.cfg - they match to those
listed for the partitions when I run the LiveCD.

So here's how I'm booted into this system now... I went and reinstalled
Ubuntu 11.10 to my separate root partition, then I copied over the
/boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic to my separate /home drive that has
been preserved the whole time. I then reinstalled 12.04 to my root
partition, backed up initrd.img-3.2.0-18-generic, copied
initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic with a rename to
/boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-18-generic and the system now boots. There are
some error messages from the land of /lib that show during startup, and
sound doesn't work, but the system boots and that's how I'm submitting
this.

So.. is it a initrd.img-3.0.0-18-generic problem that's causing my
Ubuntu 12.04 system to not be able to see the root device on boot and
thus dropping me to busybox instead, or what? If so, how do I fix this?
I get the feeling that using the initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic with the
3.0.0-12-generic kernel is causing my sound not to work.. and I'm
thinking when I get a kernel update I'm going to be whacked back to not
being able to boot... So does anyone have any suggestions? This is a new
horizon for me. I love this stuff. And, I love all of you for the
awesome things you do for this awesome OS.. Thank You! and Thanks for
any help you can provide!
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
Shannon VanWagner (https://launchpad.net/~shannon-vanwagner)