From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 January 2011 15:26
Subject: Re: Testing A11y
To: Penelope Stowe <pstowe@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ubuntu-accessibility <ubuntu-accessibility@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vinux
Development <vinux-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnome-accessibility <
gnome-accessibility-list@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Penelope.

There's also a11y user testing, which is not very good in any major
distro.  It's not their fault - only expert users of a11y software can
do in depth user testing.  I'm not capable of doing solid Orca testing
myself, and rely on blind Vinux users to do it for me.  I think
everyone in Vinux land agrees that we want to help with in-depth a11y
user testing of package updates in Ubuntu, so long as it's possible to
do safely, without causing speech to go away.

Nimer Jaber has volunteered to coordinate testing in Vinux.  First, he
wants to organize Vinux users to document which applications are
screen-reader friendly, and document how to work around their
limitations.  Long term, I would like to see accessibility ratings and
documentation incorporated into the software installers, so users
could quickly find accessible applications.

However, I think Nimer also wants to coordinate user testing of new
packages as updates become available from Ubuntu.  Doing this safely
is a bit complicated, so I'm going to post a longer, more technical
email to the vinux-dev list about it.

Bill