speechcontrolteam team mailing list archive

Educational email account and Google ad-sense.

Hiyas,

I have managed to nail Derrick down for a couple of chats. The educational
email system is now live, I just have to learn how to administer it :) It is
on his test area so I cannot do too much damage. I know that SII wish to
switch over to it, as it gives us access to
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/edu/index.html If speech control and / or
TouchLay wish to also be set up on that system, I'll get it done. The apps
from educational system are ideally suited to development teams

Derrick is also going to 'talk me through' registering the google ad-sense
account. That will give teams so wishing to use it, the ability to have a
small revenue stream coming in. It is not a great deal of money, but will
help towards server hosting etc. (There is no charge for server hosting, but
i couldn't think of anything else legal you youngsters could spend the money
on).

Whilst I am a "Super Administrator" on the system (I can edit all teams
data), I do need for TL and SC to each nominate at least one person to be
administrators on their own areas. As we all work closely together, I have
no problem if you decide to nominate a couple of people to administer both
areas. It is only light duties such as creating email accounts for people.
My suggestion would be for Daniel0108 and MichealH to be admins, but that is
for the teams to decide.

Jacky's replacement laptop is going to be despatched on tuesday (Monday 4th
July seems to be a Holiday in USA for some reason :P ).

In the couple of quick chats I have had, the dedicated server for linux was
discussed again. At present there is only myself to administer that once
Bodhi has hardened it. The task of someone to assist me is not a role to be
taken lightly. You will have root access to a dedicated server that has cost
in the region of $40,000 The control panel will be
http://ehcp.net/?q=node/794 and Bodhi is also going to add sftp to it (he is
a security geek). For those familiar with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server edition it
will be a walk in the park. Before you all volunteer yourselves, please do
remember that this is not a 'test' area. It will be hosting real data and
screw ups will have repercussions. Derrick does not have sufficient time to
oversee it and I need at least one other person to assist me.

All taken together, those steps will go a LONG way to assure people that the
teams are serious and worthy of investing time in.

It will be a couple of weeks before I am able to roll out the above, have a
good discussion in SC and TL about it. (SII is the reason I'm doing all
this, so they are signed up!). I've to sort out how the money is paid in and
paid out, thankfully, I have a guy who has been there, done it and got the
'T' shirt :)

For those who are allergic to gmail, I will also be adding
http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ to it, that project is something I have long
wanted to do :)

Well, that should give you all something to discuss. Please do not feel
under any pressure to use the system, it is there as a progression of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw#Web_Hosting and is going to eat quite a lot
of my time up (and Derrick's, and Bodhi's to install). It is the best start
I can give teams, and I'm sure there will quickly be other teams joining
once word gets out. (Well, I was tasked with kidnapping developers...).

Regards,

Phill.

--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw