speechcontrolteam team mailing list archive

Re: [Touchlay] Educational email account and Google ad-sense.

Hi phill. That is a nice initiative you are doing.
As you know I was not there active in any team, so I do now understand
what is this google educatioon app to do with SC. I mean how it will be
helpful to us?
Also do we need to pay for that adsense accound and that dedicated server?
Please elaborate.
Thank you.

On Sunday 03 July 2011 06:48 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> [...]
> get it done. The apps from educational system are ideally suited to
> development teams
>
> Derrick is also going to 'talk me through' registering the google
> ad-sense account. That will give teams so wishing to use it, the
> ability to have a small revenue stream coming in. It is not a great
> deal of money, but will help towards server hosting etc. (There is no
> charge for server hosting, but i couldn't think of anything else legal
> you youngsters could spend the money on).
>
> Whilst I am a "Super Administrator" on the system (I can edit all
> teams data), I do need for TL and SC to each nominate at least one
> person to be administrators on their own areas. As we all work closely
> together, I have no problem if you decide to nominate a couple of
> people to administer both areas. It is only light duties such as
> creating email accounts for people.
> My suggestion would be for Daniel0108 and MichealH to be admins, but
> that is for the teams to decide.
>
> Jacky's replacement laptop is going to be despatched on tuesday
> (Monday 4th July seems to be a Holiday in USA for some reason :P ).
>
> In the couple of quick chats I have had, the dedicated server for
> linux was discussed again. At present there is only myself to
> administer that once Bodhi has hardened it. The task of someone to
> assist me is not a role to be taken lightly. You will have root access
> to a dedicated server that has cost in the region of $40,000 The
> control panel will be  http://ehcp.net/?q=node/794 and Bodhi is also
> going to add sftp to it (he is a security geek). For those familiar
> with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server edition it will be a walk in the park.
> Before you all volunteer yourselves, please do remember that this is
> not a 'test' area. It will be hosting real data and screw ups will
> have repercussions. Derrick does not have sufficient time to oversee
> it and I need at least one other person to assist me.
>
> All taken together, those steps will go a LONG way to assure people
> that the teams are serious and worthy of investing time in.
>
> It will be a couple of weeks before I am able to roll out the above,
> have a good discussion in SC and TL about it. (SII is the reason I'm
> doing all this, so they are signed up!). I've to sort out how the
> money is paid in and paid out, thankfully, I have a guy who has been
> there, done it and got the 'T' shirt :)
>
> For those who are allergic to gmail, I will also be
> adding http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ to it, that project is
> something I have long wanted to do :)
>
> Well, that should give you all something to discuss. Please do not
> feel under any pressure to use the system, it is there as a
> progression of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw#Web_Hosting and is going
> to eat quite a lot of my time up (and Derrick's, and Bodhi's to
> install). It is the best start I can give teams, and I'm sure there
> will quickly be other teams joining once word gets out. (Well, I was

Abhijit Navale.
Mighty Monkey <http://abhijitnavale.blogspot.com/> | Ubuntu
<http://www.ubuntu.com/> | Free Software <http://www.fsf.org/>