spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: [ubuntu-marketing] use of Launchpad mailing list

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Matthew East <mdke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Rubén Romero y Cordero
> <huayra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> SpreadUbuntu is to be understood as a subteam of the marketing
>> team, but also as a *normal* opensource project in the sense that we
>> plan coding and using branches extensively. The marketing-team list is
>> a discussion list, while the SU list will be more of a technical type
>> of list to discuss what we want into the project and eventually
>> technical
>> details about our code.
>
> I don't think that distinction is significant enough to warrant a
> separate list. In particular, the marketing team mailing list is
> *exactly* the right place to discuss what the team wants from the
> spreadubuntu project. In fact, discussing those details elsewhere is
> simply inviting fragmentation within the marketing team.
>
> The spreadubuntu project, if done properly, could be a good way to
> focus the marketing team on getting some work done. It falls directly
> and squarely within the marketing team's competence and goals.

Of course we plan on engaging the Marketing Team at a later stage, but
first we must have a technical platform and that is what this project
is all about. We have invited interested people within the Marketing
Team to join our subgroup; there's no clash of interest here.

Now If this is such a big deal we can either move to the m-t list and
discuss details on SU.

I would like to know if it is ok for the SU team and the Marketing
Team that we move our activities to the marketing-team list. If it's
ok I, for one, will have no problem on doing so. I just do not want to
fill the list with technical details.

>> I did notice this, but as much as we are part of the ubuntu community
>> we need a channel of communication as an open source project as such,
>> more than as a discussing team/subgroup within another team.
>
> You've missed my point here. New projects in the ubuntu community, as
> the page I quoted makes clear, should request mailing lists on
> lists.ubuntu.com and not on Launchpad. In this case, I think the
> spreadubuntu list was probably created before that policy was properly
> communicated to the Launchpad mailing list administrators, so that's
> the reason the list was approved. But in any event the main point I
> want to make is that it shouldn't be required at all.

As mentioned above I believe the list might be necessary, but it
doesn't have to be if people is ok with us using the marketing-team
mailing list.

What do people have to say? And I am thinking foremost users of both
list and team members feedback.

> --
> Matthew East
> http://www.mdke.org