spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: [ubuntu-marketing] Simplifying Why We Join

Hei to you all!

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM, John Vilsack <vilsack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> Are there any other areas anyone can think of that should have that
> "top-level" sort of focus that newcomers should see when they first
> come to join our team?

Simplicity is what we need. Empowering excited users of ubuntu as fast as we
possibly can is the goal. A quick win is what engages people and keeps them
contributing!

I have written some ideas on how some of the things you are propossing can
be achieved here:

* <
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu/IdeaPool#Making%20SpreadUbuntu%20more%20accesible%20in%20the%20FrontPage

Me and others have written *a lot more* (see the links below). But first you
need to understand this: Spread Ubuntu is about two things:

 * The LoCo/user site that can give you a Marketing kit in your face right
NOW! and that's supposed to be the ultimate resource for LoCo teams, ubuntu
marketeers and newcomers alike (Yet to be implemented as such, but the
underlying technology is there, part of it is up laready and lots of
materials are available as of today)
 * The Do-It-Yourself part of the site that makes it easy for people to
share/get/translate material for local use (which is nearly done and what
has been our focus this far)

And yes, we need more thinking put into this. But, as mentioned above, we
have already put a lot of thought into this. Those interested can read the
following links:

Project status since the summer of 2008 until now and meeting logs:
 * <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu/Meetings>

Definition of the Site part:
 * <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu/Site>

Definition of the DIY part:
 * <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu/diy>

Lots more in our Idea pool (sort of where we start our blueprints):
* <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu/IdeaPool>

I am copying this to the Spread Ubuntu list and Evan Boldt (echowarp), who
is actually the man behind this awesomeness, the technical lead of the
project (I am really just the guy marketing SU and acting as Project
Manager/Driver/Beta tester/bug triager once in a while).

This is getting really exciting :-)

R.
https://launchpad.net/~huayra

Follow ups