spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Proposed interface/workflow changes for SpreadUbuntu

Hi,

Lately I have been trying to be an outside user on spreadUbuntu,
searching for cool stuff on the site. I have found A LOT of cool
material that is there. I have also experienced some shortcoming.

Based on this experience I would like to propose to the following changes:

1. We need to separate tje concept of a translated website from the
concept of translated material.
1.1 SpreadUbuntu being available in many languages is key and
important so as many users as possible can contribute.
1.2 Translating material is done today on a material-node level and we
should keep it this way
1.3 Material should not have a language by default, but rather have
language as a reference

2. Searching needs to be simplified and more powerful
2.1 Move away from the concept of Language for Material
2.2 Search criterias (Media, Purpose, Derivative, Release, Source
Extension) should be shown as clickable text fields. Dropdown menues
are cumbersome (the HUD got me thinking in that)
2.3 The Serach bar should, by default search accross the whole site
(*all* for all search criterias) keeping the source extension

3. Contextual help needs to be added for users wanting to change
sources to make new material, add changes or make new translations
3.1 We need to work on the Make Material section and make it more
alive (graphs, application screenshots)
3.2 We shoould encourage our user to change, adapt and translate the
current material by giving them hints based on Material source
extension (point people to the revamped Make Material section proposed
in 3.1)
3.3 Show available translations for all material in the Material Node
first page  (ref to point 1. and specially point 1.3)

If you have an opinion, now it is the time to voice it. I thank you in
advance for your feedback!

Have a great day (or night) everyone!

Best,
-