Re: [StartUbuntu] IRC channel (re-)creation in progress

Ali,

Sorry, please don’t get mad. There are two reasons for this; one leads into the other:

Ubuntu-related channels must start with #ubuntu- . Those are Ubuntu IRC Council terms, not mine.

Primary channels need to be approved by Freenode staff. (I don’t know whether or not you had had #start-ubuntu approved by Freenode or not, but that’s a moot point). Also, of course, Ubuntu channels need to be approved by the IRC Council. Ben Rubin (aka Pici), a member of the IRC Council, helped me with the approval process.

And, while this point is a little outside of my realm (as only a “member”), I feel I should also include this point:

Getting approved by the Ubuntu IRC network is only a first step… with our Launchpad account, that is another. Keep going and the StartUbuntu project, instead of being a daughter project, would wind up a sister project maintained by all the communications teams (Lubuntu Comms, Ubuntu GNOME Comms, etc.) Now that we have an official, recognized channel, we can market the fact that our IRC presence is officially recognized by the IRC Council.

Once again, I apologize for acting rather unilaterally, but I am trying to act in accordance with both Ubuntu IRC -- and Freenode -- rules.

Caleb Howland

StartUbuntu Project

Lubuntu Comms

Ubuntu GNOME Comms