Re: [Ubuntugnome-comms] [StartUbuntu] IRC channel (re-)creation in progress

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Caleb Howland <sonikkuamerica365@xxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Ali,

Hello Caleb,

> Sorry, please don't get mad. There are two reasons for this; one leads
> into the other:
>

>    1. Ubuntu-related channels must start with #ubuntu- . Those are Ubuntu
>    IRC Council terms, not mine.
>    2. Primary channels need to be approved by Freenode staff. (I don't
>    know whether or not you had had #start-ubuntu approved by Freenode or not,
>    but that's a moot point). Also, of course, Ubuntu channels need to be
>    approved by the IRC Council. Ben Rubin (aka Pici), a member of the IRC
>    Council, helped me with the approval process.

I'm sorry if my previous email gave you (or anyone else) the impression
that I was mad, that wasn't my intention, no doubt about it. I was, in
fact, unhappy with what happened and not satisfied. Perhaps I failed to
express that because I'm sleepless for a week now so I'm having hard time
to perhaps remain super calm :)

I do understand the above. Point 1 and Point 2.
I can't remember now who did create the previous channel, I guess that was
you? I haven't created any IRC channel for StartUbuntu.

I'm not against the idea as much as I'm not happy with the approach that
you decided to do without asking me :)

As with any project in this world, there is a driver/leader/founder. There
is a good reason why there is a driver :)

That is all what I was trying to say. This is how I manage all my other
projects.

> And, while this point is a little outside of my realm (as only
> a "member"), I feel I should also include this point:
>
> Getting approved by the Ubuntu IRC network is only a first step... with our
> Launchpad account, that is another. Keep going and the StartUbuntu project,
> instead of being a daughter project, would wind up a sister project
> maintained by all the communications teams (Lubuntu Comms, Ubuntu GNOME
> Comms, etc.) Now that we have an official, recognized channel, we can
> market the fact that our IRC presence is officially recognized by the IRC
> Council.

Maybe because I'm not an IRC type of person, I don't see the importance of
this move but just for the record, StartUbuntu is not a small project, it
is really huge :) it has people from different communities. Lubuntu
Communications and Ubuntu GNOME Communications are involved because I was
behind that. It was first started as StartLubuntu then we changed it to
StartUbuntu. When I created Ubuntu GNOME Sub-Teams, I also get the
communications of Ubuntu GNOME involved. Other flavors are involved but
perhaps not as the whole team but a member or two. All in all, we're not
small project ;)

There is a reason why I have done this:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/startubuntu

:)

So, any kind of any suggestion, idea, plan, etc should be on the
Blueprints. This is how I have successfully managed Ubuntu GNOME for the
last 6 months until we finally got the LTS status. Trust me when I tell you
that the LTS status didn't come from nothing.

> Once again, I apologize for acting rather unilaterally, but I am trying to
> act in accordance with both Ubuntu IRC -- and Freenode -- rules.

Case closed. No problem, it happens and I do understand that. Thanks for
your understanding. Hope you see my point as I saw yours :)

All what I'm asking here from you and/or anyone is to please 'send me an
email' before you do anything, that is all.

Activity wise? you're FREE to do anything as long as you give credit back
to StartUbuntu Project and all its contributors.

Creating any new channel, etc? that should be approved by me.

I'm not a dictator as some may think of me, I'm trying to run so many
projects the best way I could. If I'm a bad leader, I won't be in charge of
so many at the same time.

I hope you don't feel bad from my emails. I'm trying to be clear just to
avoid confusion and time waste.

Since you've decided to go the extra miles and do your part in this
project, I definitely appreciate that and consider this as post-approved :P
And yes, I do trust your judgment about the IRC Channel :)
I'm not an IRC type of advocate or contributor so I trust you made the
right move and feel free to be in charge of that channel if you have time
for that :)

> Caleb Howland
> StartUbuntu Project
> Lubuntu Comms
> Ubuntu GNOME Comms
> Founder of KubuntuLinks

Thank you!

> Sent from Windows 8.1 Mail

Now that is defeating the idea of you being part of many FOSS communities
:P heheh