Re: StartUbuntu at UOS 1411

Hi,

As for me, I was not available at the time of the meeting. I however like
very much the initiative and enthusiasm of Ali, and at the seem time, I
believe there is a need to rationalise the campaign as it sounds to me very
close to evangelism (and I am aware that we need a balance between
enthusiasm and rationalism that is not easy to find).

As you may remember, I am on mission in Ethiopia (for 2 more weeks only)
and my effort here have not been so successful for various reasons,
including lack of time, but not only.

I believe that before migrating to GNU/Linux, people need to become OS
independent and this implies first of all to push for a wider adoption of
the ODF (and usually LibreOffice). This especially for institution:
schools, administrations, etc.

BTW, I launched a petition on Change.org for having Dell and Lenovo
computers pre-installed with LibreOffice:
https://www.change.org/p/dell-preinstall-libreoffice-on-any-computer

I would also be happy to discuss more into details the particularities of
some countries like Ethiopia where MS Windows, Office and other proprietary
software are widely pirated. It is a very different market with different
criteria.

What I also did not like in this campaign was the reluctance to include
other distrib. like Mint. I keep thinking that being purist is against the
deep logic of free/libre & open source software. There are many needs and
the richest of the FLOSS is precisely its diversity (and complexity... ;-)
).

I think that Ali is right in proposing to move forward, but I would
advocate for a less militant and more in deep campaign centred on Ubuntu,
but not exclusive of other FLOSS (LibreOffice, other distrib., etc.).

BR
Pierre