Re: [Blueprint xmpp-notifications] Notifications with Jabber/XMPP-based messages

This sounds very interesting, especially since clients do not seem to
need usernames and passwords.

So if I understand correctly, it's a simple pub/sub system where the
hub can be either one of the publicly available hubs, or your own hub.
Syncany's notification system would use it like this (correct me if
I'm wrong):

Publish: if a Syncany client has changed/uploaded new stuff to the
storage, it publishes a new message to a specific topic at one of
those hubs

Subscribe: at the start of the Syncany application, the client
subscribes to the Atom URL and keeps the GET request open until the
hub "pushes" new notifications.

If this is correct, it's great :-D I have some security concerns
regarding the public hubs:
1) is there a list of all available "topics" on a hub? if yes, anyone
could subscribe?! not good...
2) if the hub pushes new notifications, will the IP address of the
client who published the notification be known to the other clients?

would be great if you found that out? maybe you can play around with
it and tell me if it's better than the Jabber solution. The thing with
Jabber is that it requires users to have a Jabber account -- which is
not really nice ...