testrepository-dev team mailing list archive

Re: strawman design:profiles

On 30/07/15 11:59, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 27 July 2015 at 14:45, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Can you point me at that ?
>>
>> They're the same thing we talked about earlier, but previously we talked about
>> the test result reporting side.
>>
>> In Samba we have a bunch of client-side tests we want to run in different
>> (simulated) test environments. So we set up a specific set of servers
>> (i.e. simulating Windows Server 2003 with just a single DC), then run
>> a bunch of tests against those servers, then set up a new
>> set of servers (e.g. a replicated set of DCs), then run (mostly)
>> those same tests again. For most of these we just set up different
>> instances of Samba itself, but there is also a hack that allows us to
>> run against an instance of Windows in a VM.
>>
>> While this is not exactly the same as what you're describing for profiles,
>> there are some similarities.
>
> So it seems like a subset of profiles. How is it different?

The test runner takes care of the environments, not the test tool (like
e.g. testr). The profile is also encoded in the test name when reporting
results.

Each environment has some setup and teardown code associated with it.
In particular, our test runner knows how to reuse existing servers when
setting up new environments.

Cheers,

Jelmer