testrepository-dev team mailing list archive

Re: strawman design:profiles

On 31 July 2015 at 13:07, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30/07/15 11:59, Robert Collins wrote:

>> So it seems like a subset of profiles. How is it different?
>
> The test runner takes care of the environments, not the test tool (like
> e.g. testr). The profile is also encoded in the test name when reporting
> results.

So testr is both just an analysis tool (feed stuff into load, query it
later) and a runner-runner, where it requests things to be run.

The impact of profiles on load will be how we identify the profile a
test is coming from.

The impact of profiles on the meta-runner is scheduling: asking for
tests in all applicable profiles.

The impact on reporting is that we'll want to show it - and I think we
should aggregate by default.

So it sounds like within the context of load+query profiles==environments.

> Each environment has some setup and teardown code associated with it.
> In particular, our test runner knows how to reuse existing servers when
> setting up new environments.

So a single server process can serve several different environments?
What describes the difference between environments?

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins@xxxxxx>
Distinguished Technologist