testtools-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Move to github experiment retrospective

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> So we moved testtools and a couple of ancilliary things to github,
> getting our feet wet as it were.

Thanks for raising this. It's an interesting discussion.

I think we've found:
>  - having multiple issue trackers is annoying

Agreed. And Github's is not very good.

Similarly, we've had occasional patches on Launchpad since the migration.
Generally contributors have been more than happy to switch to Github, but
it's a little bit of extra confusion.

 - the github review/merge thing isn't all that good- it's not
> terrible, but its neither LP nor gerrit/reviewboard

I like it much more than Launchpad's code review system. I've not used
gerrit or reviewboard.

>  - git itself is fine
>  - we've had very slightly more driveby contributions than over a
> similar timeframe on LP; but not enough to draw conclusions from.

I'm not sure why we have data to draw conclusions on the other points.

>  - the CI story is better than we had but still dissatisfying.

Here are things I like about our current CI story, roughly in order:

 1. I don't have to maintain it
 2. It mostly works
 3. It's not Jenkins (which I find ugly to look at, annoying to use and
difficult to extend)

We used to get lots of landings that passed with Python 2 but not with
Python 3, or vice versa. My rough estimate is we've had those less since
switching.

I'm trying answer the questions 'should we move our other projects'
> and 'should I move my related projects' to github.
>
> One thing I'd kind of like to do is spin up an openstack-infra setup
> for testing-cabal:
>  - gerrit as master
>  - github as slave
>  - zuul + jenkins doing testruns pre-and-for-landings

I don't know what zuul is, and nothing obvious turned up on page 1 of a
Google search.

Still track issues on Launchpad? If so, I don't see how this would prevent
multiple issue trackers, as Github is still an issue tracker.

> What do you guys think? Does that sound interesting? I have setup a
> free rackspace account for the testing cabal...

Mostly I've been trying to reduce my operational load, not increase it: I'm
tired of logging into computers and being told I need to restart them. This
proposal sounds like it would increase the load.

My priorities (not in order):
- ease for new contributors
- low operational overhead for us
- hard for us to break trunk
- hard for us to break reverse dependencies (this has happened a fair bit)
- easyish to spin off new projects

jml